On the basis of
REA1141 Mathematics 1
Expected learning outcomes
The students will learn mathematical tools and methods for engineering problem solving, and acquire a foundation for further study in mathematics and engineering. The course emphasizes modeling and applications.
- Understand the relevance of mathematics in engineering problem solving.
- Able to identify applications of mathematics in engineering subjects.
- Know the possibilities and limitations of mathematical software.
The course gives in-depth knowledge in the areas of linear algebra with selected applications and power series, with
- able to understand and use mathematical language.
- able to use mathematical methods and software to solve problems.
- able to judge accuracy of numerical results.
- basic mathematical reasoning
- able to do simple mathematical modeling
The skills are developed by applications to the knowledge areas.
Systems of linear equations:
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Eigensystems and diagonalisation
- Series, sequences and convergence
- Taylor and Fourier series
- Difference equations
- Fourier-, Laplace- and z-transforms
Teaching Methods (additional text)
- Premade lectures
- Recording of campus lectures to a certain degree
- Netmeetings (ClassLive) or gatherings by appointment
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Written exam, counts 100%
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Censored internally by course coordinator.
External censor is used periodically (every 3-4 years), next time in 2016.
A re-examination will be staged
Aid code C (according to NTNU rules https://innsida.ntnu.no/wiki/-/wiki/Norsk/tillatte+hjelpemidler )
At least four problem sheets, including one using mathematical software (Maple), must be completed to take the exam.
Otto Bretscher : Linear algebra with applications
Glyn James: Advanced Modern Engineering Mathematics (Voluntary)
Edwards & Penney: Calculus (only the chapter "infinite series" )
Lecture notes published on classfronter.
Replacement course for
Matematikk 15 (REA1051) og Matematikk 20 (REA2051)
Credit reduction due to overlapping course REA2051: 100%