Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
The course provides a basic introduction to statics and strength of materials, equilibrium and elasticity.
After completion the student should be able to:
- explain how basic problems concerning statics and strength of materials can be resolved
- describe what is meant by static equilibrium
- explain different support conditions
- elaborate materials elasticity and stiffness, Hooke's law, and Young's modulus
- assemble forces to a resultant and decompose forces
- find support conditions and joint forces
- calculate normal forces, shear forces, bending moment, torsion moment
- calculate bending, normal and shear stresses, and combining these
- calculate the centroid of area, 1st and 2nd moment of area and section modulus, and be able to apply the parallel axis theorem
- know the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory (the Engineer's beam theory)
- explain Navier hypothesis (cross sections remain planar and normal to the deformed centerline)
- Statics basis
- Plane force systems - beams and simple frames
- Distributed loads - resultants
- Plane rod systems - Trusses
- Diagrams for normal forces, shear forces and bending moment
- 3-moment equation (basic, practical)
- Cables and ropes
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS
- Centroid of area and 2nd moment of area
- Stresses and strains (basic)
- Stresses in beams - simple cross-sections
- Torsion - circular cross sections
Teaching Methods (additional text)
This course is made for students at campus in Gjøvik and also for web based students.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Graded by internal examiner (lecturer).
External sensor regularly is either evaluating or preparing the examination. Next time: 2016.
- Support material code C: Specified printed and hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
- John Haugan: «Formler og tabeller»
- The following basic calculators are permitted:
- Casio fx-82ES PLUS
- Citizen SR-270X and Citizen SR-270X College
- Hewlett Packard HP30S