Practice period 1 Skills training and practice
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
All previous courses
Expected learning outcomes
The purpose of the course is for the student to practice, and to reflect on basic skills for work in the profession, at the school location and when meeting service users/patients.
Knowledge : The student will be able to:
- Show basic knowledge of the interaction between the human being, the activity and the environment when meeting service users
- Understand the conditions people have for participation in activities and be able to design activities on the basis of the resources of the individual
Skills : The student will be able to:
- Perform activity analysis when meeting service users
- Evaluate universal design in the school environment, and at the practice location in question
- Describe how the way the environment is designed influences the possibility for activity and participation the individual has
- Identify service user needs with occupational therapeutic methods of data collection in connection with the development of welfare technology
- Participate in therapeutic use of activity by means of relevant methods
General competence: The student will be able to:
- Perform all of the practice in a knowledge-based way and in accordance with professional guidelines for occupational therapists
- Include the service user perspective in all professional practice as well as participate in cross-professional work at the location of the practice
- Reflect on one’s own practice, seek supervision and make use of research and professional experience
- Skills training in occupational therapy. Subject-based occupational therapeutic professional work:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Psychology and the science of education
- Communication, coordination and conflict resolution
- Professional ethics and a professional basis in the role of being a health professional
- Activity analysis
- Function analysis
PBL (Problem Based Learning)
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course uses PBL as a pedagogical method. In this course this means skills practice, working in basic units in addition to seminars, papers, self-study, skills training, clinical practice and reflection.
Form(s) of Assessment
Assessment of Practicum
Practice will be assessed by the contact teacher and the daily tutor/main tutor of the practice field
Students who are awarded a failing grade for a period of practice, must contact the Study Programme Coordinator in order to agree on how to continue the course.
Approved obligatory attendance during the course. Obligatory attendance is described in detail in the curriculum and in the course schedules.
A written paper related to the focus of the practice period must be presented at the seminar on the first day after the end of period of practice. The written work and the oral presentation must have been approved in order for the practice to be passed.
Bachelor in Occupational Therapy at GUC has resource literature. An overview of updated resource literature can be found on the homepages of the university college.
The course consists of 5 credits for practice training and 5 credits for clinical practice