Quality in Academic Research
Study plans 2016-2017
- 5 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
The course will prepare the candidate to take active part and contribute in the quality assurance process in the academic community.
The course contributes towards the following learning outcomes:
- An understanding of what processes are used, the threats that is facing these processes and techniques for mitigating these threats.
- The student is able to utilize his knowledge e.g. by producing high quality reviews.
- An understanding of academic writing style and documentation structure.
- An understanding of typical problem areas in relation to quality in academic research.
- An understanding of limitations relating to quality assurance as practiced in the academic community.
- Quality assurance processes and metrics in academic research.
- Incentives in academic research, e.g. citation index.
- The organization of academic conferences.
- Use of conference management systems (e.g. easychair).
- Paper review and evaluation criteria.
Teaching Methods (additional text)
- Project work
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Evaluation of Project(s), seminar presentations and participation, term papers
External and internal examener within 5 years period, next time at latest in 2019.
Whole course must be re-taken.
Books and papers e.g.
Irene Hames. Peer Review and Manuscript Management in Scientific Journals: Guidelines for Good Practice. Wiley-Blackwell. 2007