IMT2282 Operating systems
Expected learning outcomes
- Explain how a penetration test is planned, executed, documented and terminated.
- Account for vulnerabilities in general and common services running on internal and external servers for a generic company.
- Predict client side vulnerabilities and use the new methods for security breaches that may occur here.
- Master the most common hacking and penetration testing tools and apply these tools to perform simple penetration testing tasks.
- Carry out structured and effective search for security issues in computer systems and computer networks.
- Construct effective penetration tests given existing threats towards software, networks, and network services.
- Use and abuse access to one system in order to gather more information about the networks and services used by this system.
- Awareness of vulnerabilities in software both at server and client side, with an extra focus on network applications.
- Sensitivity for potential vulnerabilities in the computer systems and networks of a generic company, and ability to make an analysis of potential threats based on a network description.
- Overview of a wide set of tools for testing and accessing systems and networks.
- Ethical hacking and penetration testing – definitions
- Penetration testing methodologies
- Hands-on penetration testing
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 2 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Written OR digital exam (50%), depending on the number of students the exam might be oral
- Project work (50%)
- Both parts must be passed
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
- No re-sit examination – projects and exam are closely connected and related
- New project(s) and new exam(s) at next course dates
2 (two) approved exercises.
- Thomas Wilhelm (2013). Professional Penetration Testing, Second Edition: Creating and Learning in a Hacking Lab 2nd Edition.
- Georgia Weidman (2014). Penetration Testing: A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking 1st Edition
- Lee Allen (2012). Advanced Penetration Testing for Highly-Secured Environments: The Ultimate Security Guide.