Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
- IMT2431 Data Communication and Network Security
Expected learning outcomes
The student will have a solid understanding of the technologies of computer networking, be able to identify the components of the network, and have good knowledge regarding configuration of routed and switched networks and WAN technologies. Also the basics of network security will be treated
Routing of network traffic, including:
- The TCP/IP protocol family, addressing and subnet calculation
- Routing-protocols - RIP, EIGRP and OSPF
- Router components and router configuration
Switching in computer networks, including
- Switching and virtual LANs (VLAN)
- Spanning Tree Protocol
- Supporting systems of switched networks
- Packet filtering and access control
- WAN-equipment and communication formats in WAN
- Frame Relay
- PPP, components, session handling and authentication
- Services and supporting systems for access delivery, DHCP and NAT
The dependency on other infrastructure of the network.
Familiarity with tools for monitoring, analysis and auditing of the network, and problem solving in computer networks.
Net Support Learning
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
An overall assessment based on two electronic exams and two practical skill tests, each of 50 points. The third part is a group work, designing and describing a complete network environment including security measures and management principles. Conversion from 300 point scale to A-F scale according to recommended conversion table. Each single part must be passed.
In specific circumstances, emneansvarlig can slightly adjust the limits in the conversion table to enforce compatibility with the qualitative descriptions on the A-F scale.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Electronic exams evaluated externally through Cisco Networking Academy
Skill tests developed and evaluated internally.
Whole course must be taken over again.
CISCO Networking Academy materials
This course contains of Cisco CCNA Routing § Switching Module 3 + 4