On the basis of
REA1141 Mathematics 1
Expected learning outcomes
The students will learn mathematical tools and methods for engineering problem solving, and acquire a foundation for further study in mathematics and engineering. The course emphasizes modeling and applications.
- Understand the relevance of mathematics in engineering problem solving
- Able to identify applications of mathematics in engineering subjects
- Know the possibilities and limitations of mathematical software
The course gives in-depth knowledge in the areas of linear algebra with selected applications, power series and extreme value problems, with:
- able to understand and use mathematical language.
- able to use mathematical methods and software to solve problems.
- able to judge accuracy of numerical results.
- basic mathematical reasoning
- able to do simple mathematical modeling
The skills are developed by applications to the knowledge areas.
Systems of linear equations:
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Eigensystems and diagonalisation
- Series, sequences and convergence
- Taylor series
- The element method
- Extreme value problems in several variables using partial derivatives and the least squares method
Teaching Methods (additional text)
For Fleksibel ingeniørutdanning:
- Nettmøter (Elluminate, samlinger)
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Eksamen teller 100%
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Sensureres av intern sensor (emnelærer).
Ekstern sensor benyttes periodisk (hvert 3-4 år) til retting og til utarbeiding av eksamensoppgaver. Neste gang: 2013.
Re-sit August 2016
At least four problem sheets, including at least one using mathematical software, must be completed to take the exam.
Otto Bretscher, Linear algebra with applications
Edwards & Penney, Calculus, Early Transcendentals
Lecture notes published on classfronter
Replacement course for
Matematikk 15 og 20
Credit reduction due to overlapping course REA2051: 100%