IMT4811 Image processing and analysis
From autumn 2014: IMT4202 Image processing and analysis
On the basis of
Good knowledge in image and video processing.
IMT4451 Coding and compression of media data
Expected learning outcomes
Having completed the course, the students will
- Possess advanced knowledge within the area of media technology, with emphasis on representing, analyzing, compressing and processing video
- Possess specialized insight and good understanding of the research frontier in selected parts of video analyses for surveillance applications specifically
- Be able to use relevant and suitable methods when carrying out further research and development activities in the area of video analyzes
- Be able to critically review relevant literature when solving the assigned problem or topic
- Be able to give a presentation and demo about their findings
We will mainly focus on video analysis for surveillance applications including:
- Video indexing, summarization, and retrieval.
- Video meta-data extraction and representation.
- Audio and video semantic analysis.
- Surveillance video analysis for event detection.
- Surveillance video coding.
- Video processing in the compressed domain.
- Multicamera systems and multicamera data fusion and processing.
- Objective as well as subjective video quality evaluation techniques.
- 3D and multi-view video compression.
- Of specific interest is multi-camera systems and multi-camera data fusion and processing.
Net Support Learning
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Lectures by the course instructor
Guest lectures by invited experts
Student presentations on selected topics
E-learning material will be available for this course: PDF of the lectures and student presentations, and audio of the lectures. These E-lectures material will be available on an Fronter. Which will be used also for discussion with the teacher and between the students.
Form(s) of Assessment
Oral exam, individually
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- 20- 30 min Oral Exam, individually (counts 60%, evaluated by lecturer) / video conference via skype for distance students may be arranged
- Topic Presentation and report (counts 40%, evaluated by lecturer) / Distance students will be required to do implementation work or a topic study and report.
- Each part must be individually approved of.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Two internal examiners
Re-sit August 2016 for the Oral re-examination may be offered for valid reasons only. Needs to have the presentation/implementation and report accepted to be allowed for the re-sit.
Oral presentation. Study one topic and present it at one of the lectures or implement an advanced algorithm and report on it.
Research papers and book chapters from various books. Material will be advertised on the course pages before the start of the course.
Replacement course for
Preregistration in Fronter is necessary to ensure that the course is offered. The course will not run if less than five students have preregistred by August 20 or by January 20, respectively.