On the basis of
Expected learning outcomes
- Good knowledge about the main theories and analysis in business strategy
- Good knowledge about challenges and methods in developing different kinds of industries
- Be able to explain opportunities and challenges in strategic alliances
- Good knowledge about business strategy's close relation to other management subjects
- Know off new scientific findings in the field
- ability to structure values, develop vision and mission for a firm
- ability to do internal and external analysis in firms
- ability to consider different alternatives in strategic decisions and to make optimal choices for a firm
- ability to reflect over strategic challenges and their consequences
- ability to find sources for expanding own knowledge in business strategy
- ability to understand, communicate and discuss strategic topics, challenges and choices
- ability to evaluate and discuss corporate responsibility and ethical dilemmas connected to business strategy
- What is strategy?
- Vision, mission and goals
- Strategic goals
- Internal and external analysis
- Creating value - chains, shops and networks
- Strategic decisions
- Strategy implementation
- Strategic alliances, challenges and possibilities
- Alliance competence
- Corporate responsibility and ethics
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Lectures, teamwork, task solution, counselling
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Exams can be taken at GUC's campus or at other locations closer to the student's homeplace.
For exams to be taken outside campus, please contact our Student Information Desk as soon as possible for further information about application forms and costs.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal examiner, external every 5th. year, next time in 2015.
Ordinary re-sit examination.
Approved exercises are valid for re-sit examination.
Two compulsory group exercises.
Both compulsory exercises have to be approved before the student can meet for examination.
Løwendahl, Bente og Fred Wenstøp (2011) Grunnbok i strategi. 3 utg. 2. opplag. Oslo:Cappelen Damm.
Lunnan, Randi og Arne Nygaard (2011) Strategiske allianser. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget
Karlsen, Jan Erik og Erik F. Øverland (2010). Carpe Futurum. Oslo: Cappelen Damm AS
Williamson, Oliver E. og Sidney G Winter (1993) . The nature of the firm. New York: Oxford University Press
Barabasi, Albert-Laszlo( 2003). Linked. How everything is connected to everything else and what it means. USA: Penguin Group