On the basis of
REA1141 Mathematics 1
Expected learning outcomes
The students will learn mathematical tools and methods for engineering problem solving, and have a foundation for further study in mathematics and computer science. The course emphasises applications.
- Understand the relevance of mathematics in engineering problem solving
- Able to identify applications of mathematics in engineering subjects
- Know the possibilities and limitations of mathematical software
The students will have in-depth knowledge in the areas of logic and discrete mathematics, with:
- able to understand and use mathematical language
- able to use mathematical methods and software to solve problems
- basic mathematical reasoning
- Systems of linear equations
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Eigensystems and diagonalisation
- Propositional and predicate logic
- Sets, relations and functions
- Enumerative combinatorics, difference equations and series
- Graphs and trees
- Automata and languages
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Sensureres av intern sensor (emnelærer). Ekstern sensor benyttes periodisk (hvert 3-4 år) til retting og til utarbeiding av eksamensoppgaver. Neste gang: 2013.
Det arrangeres egen kontinuasjonseksamen for den skriftlige eksamenen.
Kalkulator som ikke kan kommunisere med andre, formelsamling (Haugan)
At least four problem sheets, including at least one using mathematical software, must be completed to take the exam.
- Otto Bretscher, Linear Algebra with applications 4th ed., Pearson/Prentice Hall Richard
- Johnsonbaugh, Discrete Mathematics, 7th ed., Pearson/Prentice Hall