On the basis of
- IMT2261Information Structures and Database Systems/GEO1261Databases og Modelleling
- GEO1121 GIS Intro
IMT2261/GEO1261 or GEO1121 may be taken in parallel.
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, students will
- Have good knowledge of key Norwegian geographic data sets and be able to facilitate them for analysis and presentation.
- Be able to create simple XML-based data sets and explain the structure of KML and GML formats for geographic information.
- Be able to explain the characteristics of geographic databases and be able to use SQL to perform queries, and basic geographic analysis.
- Have a basic understanding of web technology in general and of Web services for geographical data in particular.
- Be able to create simple web pages with map content from web services or geographic databases.
- Be able to explain the central concepts of cartography, and could use SLD to style webmaps.
- Norge Digitalt and norwegian data sets
- Geographical information in XML (including KML og GML)
- Web maps (including Google Maps)
- Earth browsers (including Google Earth)
- Technologies and methods for handling geographical information on the web (including WMS)
- Geographic databases
- Geographic analysis based on SQL queries
Net Support Learning
Form(s) of Assessment
Assessment by other student(s)
Oral exam, individually
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Overall assessment of the project work and the oral exam.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Two internal examinors
No re-sit for the project. For the oral axam the students can apply for one more attempt.
A complete reading list will be available at startup time.