On the basis of
- ELE1051 Electronics
- ELE2111 Data Transmission
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, students will have deep knowledge in the areas of signal encoding / decoding, signal modulation / demodulation, system design and radio transmission.
- Know the construction of modulated signal
- Know the signal construction of different wireless systems
- Know methods for generating modulated signals
- Know methods for signal coding
- Know the different wireless communication systems
- Able to do calculations with modulated signal
- Able to simulate modulated signal using computer simulation tools
- Able to describe and perform calculations on radio systems for broadcasting, mobile communication, navigation and wireless connections of different types of equipments and devices
The skills will be developed through the application of the various knowledge areas.
- Understand the different techniques for signal modulation / demodulation, encoding / decoding, and system design used in different wireless systems
- Use computer tools to evaluate wireless communication systems
- Understand and apply English scientific literature
Analog and digital modulation
Coding theory and practice
Spred spectrum modulation
Multi-user digital modulation
Introduction to radio communication: system development, radio transmission and noise estimates
Broadcasting systems for audio and video: analog and digital systems
Mobile communication: terrestrial and satellite systems, GSM and UMTS
Radio systems for short and very short distances: wireless LAN, Bluetooth and others
Navigation systems: GPS, ILS og others
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Written exam, 4 hours, counts 75%
- Exercises, count 25%
- Both parts must be passed.
The number of exercises (which counts 25%) will be decided at the beginning of the semester, but will typically include one exercise each week, totaling 11 exercises.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Graded by an internal examiner. External examiner is used periodically, the next time is 2013/14.
Re-sit examination for written exam, but not for the exercises which must be taken again the next time the course is run.
John Haugan: Formulas and tables, approved calculator.
Arne Wold: "Kompendium Trådløs kommunikasjon"
Bernard Skalar: "Digital Communications - Fandamentals and Applications", 2001