On the basis of
The course content will be complementary to the course "Authentication".
Expected learning outcomes
After the course, the students should have the capabilities to
- demonstrate a systematic understanding of biometric systems and react on disadvantages with appropriate technical and organizational measurers
- apply the skills of modality specific feature extraction techniques
- apply statistical tools for biometric and conduct performance evaluation
- apply multimodal analysis and solve the score normalization challenge in fusion systems
- analyze threats for biometric reference data, categorize them and implement protection techniques accordingly
- assess the appropriate position of a biometric component in a security system
Furthermore the students should have the competence to
- demonstrate the ability to design a biometric system suitable for a give scenario
- judge the relevance of ethical and privacy issues
- investigate for a given scenario technical solutions and evaluate them in a critical analysis. Synthesize new ideas during evaluation phase.
- can communicate with peers in the biometric community in terms of reviewing research topics
- manage team work
• Fingerprint recognition
• Vein recognition
• Face recognition specifically focused on three dimensional data
• Iris recognition
• Multimodal biometrics
• Score Normalization
• Attack mechanisms
• Privacy Enhancing Technologies
• Revocable biometric references
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Written examination in English
Evaluated by the lecturer.
The whole course must be repeated.
Students must provide a research report (term paper) on a topic that is chosen by the student in coordination with the lecturer
 LI , S . Z. , AND JAIN, A. K. , Eds. Handbook of Face Recognition. Springer-Verlag,
Heidelberg, Germany, 2005.
 MALTONI , D. , MAIO, D. , JAIN, A. K. , AND PRABHAKAR , S . Handbook of Fingerprint Recognition. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 2005.
 WAYMAN, J . , JAIN, A. , MALTONI , D. , AND MAI O, D. , Biometric Systems.
Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 2004.
 JAIN, L.C. , HALICI, U. , HAYASHI, I. ; LEE, S.B., TSUTSUI, S. Intelligent Biometric Techniques in Fingerprint and Face Recognition. CRC PressVerlag, 1999.
 TUYLS, P., SKROIC, B., KEVENAAR, T. Security with Noisy Data. Springer-Verlag, 2007