On the basis of
- IMT1031 - Grunnleggende programmering
- REA1101 - Matematikk for informatikkfag
Expected learning outcomes
- The candidate possesses thorough knowledge of models and protocols in data communication networks.
- The candidate possesses thorough knowlegde in the theory of network security.
- The candidate is capable of applying his/her knowledge in the field of IT-security.
- The candidate is capable of updating his/her own knowledge in data communication networks.
- The candidate is capable of performing basic network administration tasks.
- The candidate is capable of performing error tracking and solving in basic networks.
- The candidate knows relevant methods and terminology in the area of data communications.
- The candidate is capable of working independently and in groups in the field of data communication.
- The candidate is capable of designing, analyzing, and performing maintenance on basic networks.
After completion of the course, the students:
- Will have knowledge of the most used standards and protocols for datacommunication.
- Will understand the principles of network security.
- Basics of computer networks
- Application layer (HTTP, SMTP, DNS)
- Transport layer (TCP, UDP)
- Network layer (IP, ICMP, routing)
- IPv4 Network addressing
- Data link and physical layer (Ethernet, MAC, ARP)
- Basics of network security, including applied cryptography
- Authentication in networks (Kerberos)
- Network Intrusion Detection Systems
- Tunneling of protocols (PPP over SSH)
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
An overall evaluation based on a 100 point scale, where mid-term exam counts 33 1/3 points, project work counts 33 1/3 points and final exam counts 33 1/3 points. Conversion from 100 point scale to A-F scale according to recommended conversion table. In specific circumstances, emneansvarlig can slightly adjust the limits in the conversion table to enforce compatibility with the qualitative descriptions on the A-F scale.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Evaluated by internal examiner, external examiner is used periodically (every four years, next time in 2013/2014)
Whole course must be taken over again.
CISCO Netacademy teaching materials.
Kurose, J. and Ross, K.W. (2008): Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, fourth edition. Addison- Wesley (recommended background material).
Replacement course for