- 5 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
Throughout the course students will develop their skills in the use of the English language both orally and in writing, through both individual work and interaction and sharing of knowledge using digital tools and digital media.
After completing the course, students will be able to
- To write clear, concise and appropriate texts in English, with a focus on technical text and simple report writing
- Through proofreading and editing, identify and correct common grammatical errors in their own and others' use of the English language
- To prepare for an interview by writing a CV and other documentation and through gaining knowledge of interview techniques
- Being able to present subject matter online, both verbally and written.
- To discuss issues within their own subject area, contemporary themes and scientific texts.
- Job search. CV
- Cultural understanding
- Communication and presentation
- Digital literacy
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course is build around web-based seminars every 14 days. A minimum of attendance is obligatory. Notes from lectures, digital lectures and different types of e-learning material will be presented through a learning management system (Fronter).
All course material and seminars will be in English .
Texts and topics for the seminars and forum discussions will decided by the teacher and the students. There will be both group and individual work. All assignements are to be delivered digitally. Tutoring through web conference, can be arranged in groups if making appointments with the teacher. Further more, the forum in the LMS (Fronter) will be the main channel for communication between teachers and students and between students.
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Portfolio consisting of three individual- and one group assignement.
One of the individual exercises will be an academic discussion organized through the learning platform.
All parts must be passed.
Internal examiner. Two internal examiners periodically every third year, starting 2011.
Next time course is given.
Participation at a minimum of four web-seminars
• Cambridge Advanced Learner‘s Dictionary. Cambridge: Cambridge UP (or similar).
• Murphy, R. Essential Grammar in Use. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (or similar).
• Kilder på nett, f.eks bedrifter og organisasjoners hjemmesider
Replacement course for
GEO1161 - Technical English
The student must have access to equipment that make it possible to communicate in writing, verbally and visually on the internet, such as
• PC / Mac
• Internet, preferably broadband.
• headphones with microphone
Minimum/maximum number of students: 10/25