On the basis of
IMT2261 - Informasjonsstrukturer og Databaser
GEO1121 - GIS Intro
IMT2261 or GEO1121 may be taken in parallel.
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, students will
- Have good knowledge of key Norwegian geographic data sets and be able to facilitate them for analysis and presentation.
- Be able to create simple XML-based data sets and explain the structure of KML and GML formats for geographic information.
- Be able to explain the characteristics of geographic databases and be able to use SQL to perform queries, and basic geographic analysis.
- Have a basic understanding of web technology in general and of Web services for geographical data in particular.
- Be able to create simple web pages with map content from web services or geographic databases.
- Be able to explain the central concepts of cartography, and could use SLD to style webmaps.
- Norge Digitalt and norwegian data sets
- Geographical information in XML (including KML og GML)
- Web maps (including Google Maps)
- Earth browsers (including Google Earth)
- Technologies and methods for handling geographical information on the web (including WMS)
- Geografiske databaser
- Geografisk analyse med SQL
Net Support Learning
Form(s) of Assessment
Oral exam, individually
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
2 prosjektoppgaver som må være godkjent for å gå opp til eksamen.
A complete reading list will be available at startup time.