The student is required to have some knowledge of cryptography or equivalent to IMT4531.
Expected learning outcomes
In the course, the students will acquire:
- Advanced level of understanding of methods of analysis of wireless communication security
- Deep understanding of modern wireless communication systems and their security
1. Basic radio-frequency communications
2. RFID, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth security
3. Security of 2G mobile telephony systems
4. Security of 3G mobile telephony systems
Teaching Methods (additional text)
- Project work
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Written exam, 3 hours, counts 70% of the mark.
- Project evaluation, counts 30% of the mark.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Evaluated by the lecturer
For the written exam: Ordinary re-sit examnination.
1. Gunter Schafer, Security in Fixed and Wireless Networks: An Introduction to Securing Data Communications, John Wiley & Son Inc. 2003
2. V. Niemi, K. Nyberg, UMTS Security, John Wiley & Sons, 2005
Replacement course for
IMT5171 - Wireless communication security
In case there will be less than 5 students that will apply for the course, it will be at the discretion of Studieprogramansvarlig whether the course will be offered or not and if yes, in which form.