On the basis of
IMT1031 - Grunnleggende programmering
REA1101 - Matematikk for informatikkfag
Expected learning outcomes
After completion of the course, the students:
- will have knowledge of the most used standards and protocols for datacommunication and
- will understand the principles of network security.
- Basics of computer networks
- Application layer (HTTP, SMTP, DNS)
- Transport layer (TCP, UDP)
- Network layer (IP, ICMP, routing)
- IPv4 Network addressing
- Data link and physical layer (Ethernet, MAC, ARP)
- Applied cryptography
- Basics of network security
- Authentication in networks (Kerberos, PKI)
- Network Intrusion Detection Systems
- VPN (IPsec, SSH)
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
An overall evaluation based on a 100 point scale, where mid-term exam counts 33 points, project work counts 34 points and final exam counts 33 points. Conversion from 100 point scale to A-F scale according to recommended conversion table. In specific circumstances, emneansvarlig can slightly adjust the limits in the conversion table to enforce compatibility with the qualitative descriptions on the A-F scale.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal and external examiner
Whole course must be taken over again.
Kurose, J. and Ross, K.W. (2008): Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, fourth edition. Addison- Wesley.
CISCO Netacademy teaching materials.
Replacement course for