On the basis of
TØL 4041 Sustainable Development
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student is supposed to
- be able to define, execute and select methods and tools to assess sustainability performance of various concepts .
- knowledge of environmental indicators and their background
- ability to use appropriate evaluation or assessment methods to identify and analyze the sustainability performance of concepts
- ability to define and describe the object of assessment for different situations and systems
- ability to utilize and evaluate results from Life Cycle Assessment tools
- ability to evaluate scientific ethical implications
- understanding of sustainability performance in general
Methods and tools for assessment of environmental sustainability (including life cycle analysis)
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) according to ISO 14040
- Characterisation, Classification and Normalisation
- Re-use and recycling
- Attributional and consequential LCA
- Use of tools as SimaPro
- Overview of research on sustainability
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be made accessible for both campus- and remote students. Every student is free to choose the pedagogic arrangement from that is best fitted for her/his own requirement.
Seminars in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students through web conferencing systems (Eluminate, Adobe Connect etc). Recordings of seminars and tutoring sessions will be available on internet through GUC’s learning management system (Fronter).
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Written Exam: 40 %
Project work: 60 %
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal examiners. Additional external examiner every four years.
Revised project report can be submitted according to new deadline given by the course responsible.
Re-sit on written exam in August. Written exam can be altered to oral exam by the course responsible.
Code B: All printed and hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
Read more about permitted examination aids.
- Two hand-ins/assignments must be approved
- Mandatory presence on seminars
The standard language is English. All hand-ins, exams etc. must be written in English.
Compendium of articles/book chapters