Management and Leadership for Sustainability
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student is supposed to
- Thorough knowledge of theory and practice in managing organizations
- Thorough knowledge of the role of sustainable leadership
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles and philosophy for Lean and learning organizations
- Thorough knowledge of the role of management and leadership in Lean
- Thorough knowledge of the importance of team work, participation and the Norwegian model in relation to Lean
- Reflect and plan for implementation effective and efficient organization with a sustainable and global perspective
- Develop managerial skills for future learning organizations
- Be aware of the history organizational and managerial theory
- Aware of the history of Lean development
- Understanding different managerial fads and fashions
- History of organization and management theory
- Sustainable organization, management and leadership
- Managing individuals
- Managing teams and groups
- Leading, coaching and motivating
- Managing human resources and cultures
- Power, politics and decision-making
- Knowledge and Learning
- Innovation and change
- Ethics and corporate social responsibility
- Philosophy of Lean, principles and culture
- Lean leadership, management and organization
- The Nordic/Norwegian model and Lean – work organization and participation
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be made accessible for both campus- and remote students. Every student is free to choose the pedagogic arrangement form that is best fitted for her/his own requirement.
The lectures in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students. Lectures that sum up the main issues in the lecture will also be available on internet through GUC’s learning management system (Fronter).
Tutoring are given at campus in accordance to announced times. In addition there will be at least on gathering at campus for remote students with mandatory laboratory exercises.
Tutoring is also available on internet.
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Final version of term paper.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal examiner. Additional external examiner every four years, next time 2019.
Continuation exam: New paper
Two individual works have to be presented both written and orally.
Cole and Kelly (2011): Management Theory and Practice, Cengage Learning EMEA, 7th edition
Liker & Convis (2011). The Toyota Way to Lean Leadership. McGraw-Hill
Collection of articles available in Fronter