Physics and chemistry
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
Expected learning outcomes
- develop a scientific basis and understanding
- understand how physics and chemistry is the basics in modern engineering
- understand the relationship between theory in classical mechanics and practical use
- understand the relationship between chemical theory and practical use
- know relevant terms and formulas
- explain basic phenomena in physics and chemistry
- basic know-how in laboratory work and how to write reports
- understand the scientific way of thinking and working
- be able to communicate knowledge in physics and chemistry
- Kinematics and dynamics of translatory motion:
- Straight-line and planar motion. Position, velocity and acceleration. Newton’s laws. Work, potential and kinetic energy. Momentum. Conservation laws. Power and efficiency.
- Kinematics and dynamics of rotational motion:
- Circular motion, angular velocity and angular acceleration. Rotation of a fixed body about a fixed axis. Moment of intertia and rotational energy. Torque and angular momentum. Rotational analog of Newton’s second law.
- Free and forced oscillations, with and without damping. Resonance. Mathematical and physical pendulum.
- Fluid mechanics:
- Hydrostatics: Pressure. Buoyancy. Forces on submerged surfaces. Hydrodynamics: Continuity equation. Bernoulli’s equation.
- Thermal physics:
- Linear and volume expansion. Heat transfer by conduction and convection.
- Atom structure, periodic system and chemical bonds
- Chemical equations and types, stoichiometric calculations
- Naming of chemical compounds
- Acids, bases and buffers
- Galvanic cells, electrolysis and corrosion
- Gasses, solubility in liquids and solutions
- Basic organic chemistry
Net Support Learning
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course is open for both campus students and internet students. It will contain 10-12 campus lectures, and the main points of the lectures will also be available on internet. 3-4 internet lectures given as web conference will also be given. All students must participate in 1 practical laboratory exercise to be performed at campus.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Sensureres av intern sensor (emnelærer(e)). Ekstern sensor benyttes periodisk (hvert 3. - 4. år) til retting og utarbeidelse av eksamensoppgaver, neste gang høsten 2013.
Det arrangeres egen kontinuasjonseksamen.
- Godkjent kalkulator (som ikke kan kommunisere med andre)
- John Haugan: Tabeller og formelsamling (NKI-forlaget). ISBN 82-562-2483-5
- Gyldendal: Tabeller og formler i fysikk, 2Fy og 3Fy/Fysikk 1 og Fysikk 2
1 practical laboratory exercise
Three-semester students must also have been approved.
Young, Hugh D. og Freedman, Roger A. (2007). University Physics. Addison-Wesley, 12th edition. ISBN: 080532187X
Rystad, B. og Lauritzen, O. (2006) Kjemi og Miljøkunnskap. nki forlaget, 3. utgave. ISBN: 82-562-5672-9