Mathematics for computer science
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
2MX or REA 3022 Matematikk R1 or equivalent course.
Expected learning outcomes
The students will learn mathematical tools and methods for engineering problem solving, and have a foundation for further study in mathematics and computer science. The course emphasizes applications.
- Understand the relevance of mathematics in engineering problem solving.
- Able to identify applications of mathematics in engineering subjects.
- Know the possibilities and limitations of mathematical software.
The students will have knowledge in the areas of logic and discrete mathematics, with
- able to understand and use mathematical language.
- able to use mathematical methods and software to solve problems.
- basic mathematical reasoning.
- Number theory
- Propositional and predicate logic
- Sets, functions and relations
- Enumerative combinatorics
- Graphs and trees
- Automata and languages
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Written exam – 4 hours (60%)
The students must pass both the exam and the portfolio.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Richard Johnsonbaugh: Discrete Mathematics, 7th ed., Pearson/Prentice Hall
Additional material published on classfronter.