Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
ELE2131 Digitalteknikk og Mikrokontrollere
Expected learning outcomes
- Know about various programmable logic circuits and how these are constructed and functioning.
- Be able to describe how a logical element is built up and working.
- Be able to explain the difference between combinatorial and sequential logic.
- Be able to explain how a digital system can be described using HDL (Hardware Description Language).
- Know the principles for testing digital designs.
- Know the aspects of security and vulnerability in FPGA systems.
- Be able to use VHDL to describe and realize a digital circuit in an FPGA.
- Be able to specify a digital design.
- Be able to use programming tools for implementing digital hardware in an FPGA.
- Be able to use programming tools for simulating and verification of a digital system.
- Be able to plan and carry out a project assignment.
- Programmable logic circuits
- FPGA families
- Structure of digital systems
- Description of HW in VHDL
- Verification of digital design
- Programming of FPGA circuits
- Testing - Boundary Scan
- Security and vulnerability in FPGA system
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The subject is not prepared for online education.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Written Exam, 4 hours, counts 75%.
- Assessment of one compulsory exercise, counts 25%.
- Each part must be passed separately.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Evaluated by internal lecturer. External examiner shall be used periodically, next time autumn 2018.
Ordinary re-sit examination. The project must be taken at the next regular liquidation of the subject.
Mandatory work is valid one year after they are approved (for the upcoming re-sit and regular examination).
Code D: No printed or hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
Read more about permitted examination aids.
A total of 8 exercises is given, where 3 are mandatory. One of the exercises are assessed with a grade.
A project being assessed with appoved/not approved.
Introductory VHDL From Simulation to Synthesis - Sudhakar Yalamanchili - ISBN 0-13-080982-9
Computer Busses - W. Buchanan - ISBN 0-340-74076-0
Replacement course for
ELE3221 Programmerbare kretser