Expected learning outcomes
The subject deals with basic civil engineering and shows the relationship between the building physics, good build technical solutions and Government environmental goals for the industry. This requires besides good knowledge in civil engineering also knowledge in mathematics and statistics, as well as part physics, something that is taught in the topic.
After the completion, the student should have knowledge of the environment, the building's various systems, the building's characteristics with respect to heat, moisture, sound, light and fire. The student shall be able to consider technical solutions to regulatory requirements.
- Consider current building physical relevant requirements and stresses
- Implement basic reviews and calculations of building physical conditions
- To calculate energy needs and effect needed for a building to perform
- Laboratory measurements on a sample of building physical issues
- Account for the development of construction works in Norway in a historical perspective
- Understanding the background of the user-, social-and environmental requirements for the buildings
- Good background to communicate with other disciplines (architect, constructor, HVAC, EL, fire etc) that is involved in engineering, construction and operation of buildings
- Basic mathematics, functions, equations, trigonometry, geometry,
- Probability, average, median, normal distribution, standard deviation, confidence interval
- Energy and effect
- Sustainable building
- Outdoor and indoor environment
- Heat transfere
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be implemented as Web-based learning, but with two mandatory seminars in Gjøvik. The first seminar is by the subject's startup and the other during September/October. The latter seminar is devoted to laboratory exercises. Lectures are available as prerecorded videos, and it is used both videos from the course responsible as well as other video resources on the internet. Some of the videos can be in English. The tutoring is done by the use of the learning platform, and will be both in real time and asynchronously. It added up to more common learning activities on the Web, where it is expected that all participating. The exam is conducted on Gjøvik.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
To interne sensorer
Code C: Specified printed and hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
Read more about permitted examination aids.
5-6 written works where 1-2 is group-based. All works must be approved before you can take the final exam.
- Espedal (2014): Bygningsfysikk. Byggenæringens forlag
- Byggforsk Kunnskapssystemer
- Et utvalg av artikler, rapporter og nettressurser
Replacement course for
BYG1261 Byggteknikk og REA1131F Grunnleggende matematikk og statistikk