Expected learning outcomes
- have deep knowledge about central questions within the theory of science
- be able to analyze central topics within the theory of science
- know central terminology for scientific work
- be able to suggest a topic of investigation within science
- independently be able to make a plan of how to carry out a scientific work
- competence to search for academic publications using central databases
- facilitate and analyze data from science projects
- competence to read and analyze scientific publications
- be able to report results from scientific projects, including projects carried out by the student herself
- have developed a clear ethical attitude in relation to how scientific methodology is used
- Introduction to the theory of science
- Characteristics of good research
- Research ethics
- Research as a means of systematic progress
- Quantitative and qualitative research designs
- Characteristics of good research topics and how to create one
- Literature studies
- Choice of methods, including planning and how to carry out and analyze experiments/studies
- Use of research databases for problem solving
- Data analysis and statistics
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be offered both as an ordinary campus course and as a course that is offered in a flexible way to off-campus students. Lecture notes, e-lectures and other types of e-learning material will be offered through Fronter. Communication between the teachers and the students, and among the students, will be facilitated by Fronter.
The course will be made accessible for both campus and remote students. Every student is free to choose the pedagogic arrangement form that is best fitted for her/his own requirement. The lectures in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students. All the lectures will also be available on Internet through GUC’s learning management system (ClassFronter).
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
External and internal examiner.
Ordinary re-sit examnination.
Participation in project work
- Leedy, P D, and Ormrod, J E: "Practical Research, -Planning and design, 9th ed."Pearsopn Educational Int. ISBN-10: 0131365665
- Additional handouts and material made available on Fronter.