On the basis of
IMT4072 Cross-media color reproduction
IMT4811 Image processing and analysis
IMT4892 Digital Workflow
IMT4451 Coding and compression of media data
Expected learning outcomes
The aim of this course is to provide advanced knowledge of the factors which should be considered when creating and reproducing colour images. After completing this course, the students will have an understanding of and experience of the complete color image reproduction workflow, from initial scene capture through to output on a range of different media.
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Implement an image reproduction workflow by acquiring and interpreting camera raw data, and applying appropriate transforms to generate an output on a display, projection or print.
- Apply color rendering transforms such as gamut mapping and appearance adjustments to compendate for differences in media and viewing conditions.
- Evaluate image quality by applying suitable quality metrics
- Evaluate image quality by setting up and performing psychophysical experiments and analyzing the results.
- Imaging workflows in graphic arts, digital photography and motion picture.
- Image acquisition using digital still and moving-image cameras
- Transforms from camera-raw data to output
- Image reproduction on displays, projectors and printers
- Image quality evaluation using psychophysical and metric-based approaches
- Color appearance modeling
- Rendering transforms and image state conversion
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Students will write an essay on a topic within imaging chains.
Written exam (60%), Evaluation of essay (40%).
Each part needs to be passed.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Two internal examiners on the written exam.
Basic textbook: Introduction to Color Imaging Science. Hsien-Che Lee. Cambridge University Press. 2005
Fundamentals of Digital Imaging. H.J. Trussel and M.J. Vrhel. Cambridge University Press. 2008
Single-Sensor Imaging: Methods and Application for Digital Cameras. Rastislav Lukac. CRC press. 2009.
Digital Color Imaging Handbook. Gaurav Sharma. CRC press. 2002
Hand-outs and research papers.