A one-year study programme in media and information technology is best suited as an introduction to further studies in media, informatics or computer science, or as a compliment to another education on undergraduate level or higher. Understanding and knowledge in the field of media and IT will give the graduated students advantages in companies that use computers actively and will make computer and media supported work assignments easier and more effective.
One year, 60 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
The students will during the one-year study programme acquire knowledge and skills to better understand and exploit technologies used in media, information and communication systems in companies, the industry, organisations and as well as private. The students will be able to see the opportunities in media and IT support and among other things be able to contribute in realising these possibilities through contribution in development projects.
The students will during the period of study acquire knowledge and skills in:
- Construction of computing programs and how to utilize these
- Development of web solutions and the underlying technologies
- Organisation, storage, retrieval and presentation of information
- Digital video production
A one-year study programme in media and IT will normally not be sufficient as an education on its own and should therefore be combined with another education. The study programme is suited for people with work experience but lack computer knowledge or as a part of a skills development programme. The study programme can also be the first year of a longer media and IT education.
The study programme is best suited for those who
- are leaving the Upper Secondary School and consider a occupational career within media and IT.
- have a job or an education which expects use of computer tools to perform work assignments.
- need more informatics to be acceptet into a informatics bases master programme, such as Master in Media Technology.
The study programme will together with a bachelor degree in media design, media management, geomatics, electro or similar give the right to apply to the master programme in Media Technology.
The applicant must have Higher Education Entrance Qualification together with basic skills in mathematics (2MX/2MY/3MZ or similar). Applicants who are 25 years or older can apply if they can document prior learning and work experience. A course in 2MX will be offered before the first semester starts.
The course structure of the study programme will give a broad and basic understanding of media, information and communication technology. The teaching method is lecturing in class rooms, auditoriums and laboratory work.
The students will throughout the year of study do individual or group based practical and theoretical assignments.
The study programme courses can principally be divided into two group; media subjects and informatics subjects. The informatics subjects are lectured in the fall semester and are as follows:
- Basic Java programming
- Information and publication technology (media related)
- Information structure and databases
The media subjects are lectured in the spring semester and are as follows:
- Web publishing (informatics related)
- Digital video production
In addition the students can choose an elective course within the media, communication and information technology discipline.
- IMT1241 Basic Java programming - The exam will be graded by an internal examiner.
- IMT1041 Information and Publishing Technology - Not specified
- IMT2261 Information Structures and Database Systems - not specified
- IMT2491 Web publishing - Written exam and project is going to be graded by the teacher. The final project is going to be graded by the teacher and an external examinor.
- IMT1071 Multimediaproduction I - External examinor approves exams
A one-year study programme is not well suited for student exchange, but adjustments can be made if the student contacts the programme coordinator.