Analytic drawing, shape and colour
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
By the end of the course, candidates will have achieved a basic knowledge of:
- Freehand drawing, perspective, and sketching, through observation and shape analysis
- Shading and rendering, creating the illusion of three- dimensions
- Freehand drawing as a method in the design process, from the first vague idea to the image of the finished product
- Different drawing techniques using a variety of tools and materials
- Terminology in communicating their own work, and in the evaluation of others
Principles of form:
- Students will have knowledge and practical experience with different concepts of shape - what they mean and how they can have practical application. The student will be able to describe physical shapes and forms.
- The student must have a conscious awareness of colour and how it is perceived. Students will have an understanding of using color in the design process and its significance for product design. Students will be able to understand the value of the color's significance for a product.
Analytic drawing, shapes and colour
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Lectures, practical work in groups, problem solving
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Generally, grading will be based on assessment of quality shape, drawing and colour and presentation of the deliverables
There will be 7 obligatory projects portfolio assessments:
- Three exercises in drawing
- One exercise on shape
- One exercise in color,
- One free choice exercise
- A final project
The exercises count 70% of the grade. Three-hour examination at the end of the semester counting 30% of the grade. The final course grading is a combination of the practical and examination grades.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Course tutors and internal examiner
At the next examination period
80% attendance at lectures and laboratory exercises.
Approved absences to be supported by medical certificate.
- Farstad, Per (2003) Industridesign, kapittel 4, Universitetsforlaget, ISBN 82-15-00418-0, (Utdelt forelesingsmateriell, Per Farstad)
- Francis D. K., Ching. (1994) Tegning. Cappelen, ISBN 82-02-14421-3
- Teigen, Tom (1994) Farger- En visuell innføring Gyldendal, ISBN: 9788241703515
- Francis D. K. Design drawing med CD. New York 1998.
- Hilde Degerud. Torun Linge Anderssen. Arbeidsbok 1 og 2 til Ching: Tegning. Oslo 1997/ 1998.
- Grete Smedal, Farge overalt, 1996, 1. utg. Tell forlag AS, ISBN: 9788275220439
- Gunnersen, Kjernmo og Reinhartsen, En enkel fargelære, Universitetsforlaget, ISBN 82-0042455-3
- Geometry of Design, Kimberly Elam,Prinecton Architectural Press, New York ISBN 1-56898-249-6(pbk.)
- Elements of Desing, Rowena Reed Kostellow, Architectural Press, New York ISBN 1-56898-329-8