Land Surveying 3
Study plans 2016-2017
- 10 ECTS
- GEO1191 Land Surveying 1
- GEO1201 Land Surveying 2
Expected learning outcomes
The aim of this Practical Land Surveying course is to learn how to use instrument and computing skills to carry out realistic land surveying tasks. Course theory is concerned with the mathematics and geometry of the Figure of the Earth, of coordinate systems and mapping projections. Practical work covers the methods of employing instrumental systems in accordance with land surveying quality standards and practices. The course is project based, and demands that students work closely together to design, plan and carry out their projects and subsequently document and present their results.
Mathematics and geometry:
The lessons learned on the GEO1181 Basic Land Surveying course supplemented with the necessary mathematical and Earth geometry topics:
- Basic relevant matrix algebra
- Coordinate transformation
- Introduction to survey adjustment by Least Squares
- Datums, coordinate systems (Earthg centred, geodetic, plane and local)
- Geometry of the Ellipsoid
- The Geoid
- Surveying methods:
Topics here focus on the use of instruments and measurement systems to produce the required data using methods which satisfy published quality standards:
- Establishing and operating a local GNSS reference;
- RTK measurements
- Trigonometric height measurement
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Lectures, directed private study, exercises and project tasks, working alone or in groups
Form(s) of Assessment
Oral exam, individually
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Submitted project tasks (5-7)
- Oral examination
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
- Project reports are evaluated by nominated lecturers
External moderators regularly assist in reviewing content and evaluating arrangements for grading assessment
Together with the next class, one year later
The course work requirements must be conducted on campus NTNU in Gjøvik. Time of completion given at semester start.
- Iliffe, J. & Lott, R. (2008). Datums and Map Projections for remote Sensing, GIS and Surveying. Scotland, UK: Whittles Publishing. (ISBN: 978-1-904445-47-0).
- Skogseth, T. (1998). Grunnleggende landmåling. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget (ISBN: 82-00-42453-7).
- Statens kartverk (2005). Geodatastandarden
- Statens kartverk (2001). Geodatastandarden, grunnlagsnett
- Statens kartverk (2005).Satellittbasert posisjonsbestemmelse
- Statens kartverk (1999). Stedfesting av eiendoms- og råderettsgrenser.
- Statens kartverk (2004). Koordinatbasert referansesystem
- Instrument and software manuals (regularly oppdated by WWW or in system help files).
- Specific compendia and lecture notes.
Replacement course for
See Additional Information below