On the basis of
- IMT1031 Fundamental Programming
- REA2071 Mathematics 2 for mechanical and civil engineering or
- REA2081 Mathematics 2 for electrical engineering or
- REA2091 Mathematics 2 for computer science
Expected learning outcomes
- Have broad knowledge of key themes, theories, issues in network models, protocols and architectures for communication systems.
- Have extensive knowledge of analogue and digital transmission techniques.
- Know the research and development works within the area of electromagnetic signal transmission using cables and the wireless channel.
- Can update their knowledge on the standards and protocols used in data communication.
- Can apply the principles, methods and techniques used when data is transferred between devises over long and short distances using electromagnetic waves along cables and the wireless channel.
- Can apply the achieved knowledge for calculating and evaluating the capacity of a communication system.
- Can master relevant tools and forms of expression.
- Can reflect on their professional practice and adjust this under supervision.
- Can plan and implement a variety of tasks and projects within data communication alone and as a participant in a group.
- Can exchange views and experiences with others with backgrounds in data communication and thereby contribute to the development of good practice.
- Can convey key subject matter within data communication theories, issues and solutions both in writing, orally and through other relevant forms of expression.
- Network models
- Analog and digital transmission
- Multiplexing and spread spectrum technique
- Transmission media
- Circuit and packet switching
- Error detection and correction
- Protocols and architecture
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Audio recording of the lecture notes
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
4 hours written exam.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Graded by internal examiner. External examiner is used periodically, next time autumn 2018.
Ordinary re-sit examination.
No printed or hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator allowed.
Mandatory assignments where 8 out of 11 of the assignments must be approved to be able to take the exam.
Behrouz A Forouzan: ”Data Communications and Networking", 5th Edition (Global Edition), 2013.