See additional information
Expected learning outcomes
After successfully completing the master thesis, the students have obtained knowledge, skills and general competence in:
- clearly and independently, but with guidance from a supervisor, defining a significant and complex research and development (R&D) problem relevant to the master program
- analyzing existing literature, theories, methods, and interpretations
- independently acquiring new knowledge necessary to complete the project
- planning and conducting necessary studies or experiments, organizing and analyzing data acquired, drawing defensible conclusions, and making recommendations based on these
- documenting the results achieved in a scientific project, mastering the terminology of the field
- presenting the results in oral form.
The student shall pick a specific problem of relevance to the master's program. The topic must represent a challenge within the specific area and must require that the student adheres to practises that are common within the area. The topic must be preapproved by the supervisor.
Form(s) of Assessment
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Both an oral presentation and a report will be evaluated according to the criteria given in the CIMET Learning Agreement or COSI Learning Agreement. One final grade will be given.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
At least two examiners from the CIMET or COSI consortium in accordance with the CIMET/COSI Learning Agreements.
1 internal (NTNU) and 1 external, or 2 external examiners, the externals from the consortium.
See additional info
This course is only available for students enrolled in the CIMET or COSI programme. To see the details on prerequisites and forms of assessments, please see the learning agreement between the cooperating institutions.