On the basis of
TØL4041 Sustainable development
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student is supposed to have
- advanced knowledge of product development in global value chains with focus on sustainability
- advanced knowledge of innovation processes in global value chains
- ability to analyze and choose development methodology for sustainability in industry and market
- ability to evaluate scientific ethical implications of sustainable product development
- advanced understanding of innovation processes in general
Product and process development:
• Product planning in an internal resource perspective
• Analyzing customer need
• Product specification
• Concept development and testing
• Prototyping and robustness
• Rights and economy
• Design for X
Design for sustainability
• Design for environmental sustainability (life cycle, minimal use of resources, life cycle optimizing and disassembly / recycling
• Methods and tools for environmental sustainability (life cycle analysis)
• Overview of research on sustainability
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be made accessible for both campus- and remote students. Every student are free to choose the pedagogic arrangement form that are best fitted for her/his own requirement.
The lectures in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students. Lectures that sums up the main issues in the lecture will also be available on internet through the learning management system.
Tutoring are given at campus in accordance to announced times. In addition there will be at least on gathering at campus for remote students with mandatory laboratory exercises.
Tutoring is also available on internet.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
2 internal examiners
If fail - revised project report can be submitted according to new deadline given by the course responsible.
Approved project essay/individual work is valid for 2 years
One individual work
Stig Ottoson: Developing Sustainable Product Innovations (ISBN 978-91-639-1980-0)