On the basis of
REA1141 Matematikk 1
REA2101 Fysikk og kjemi
Expected learning outcomes
The course provides basic knowledge of the properties of essential materials, especially steel, aluminum,
concrete, brick, wood and composites. After completion the student should be able to:
- The candidate will learn the basic theory about important building materials. This
includes materials' composition, preparation, structure, properties, function and applications.
- Explain thermal characteristics, strength and fire resistance.
- Explain degradation and lifetime for different materials, and how these are affected by external
influences such as climate (humidity, temperature) and chemicals.
- Justify the choice of materials for various purposes.
- Be familiar with different secondary building materials such as insulation materials, sheet materials, plastic
sealant materials and their material properties within buildings.
- Show the relationship between the choice of materials, physical material properties and environmental concerns.
- Identify tensions in materials as a result of applied loads
- Perform laboratory exercises for some building materials
- The candidate has insight into the environmental impacts of products and solutions within buildings.
For the relevant materials:
- Raw materials, construction and production
- Strain, tension, strength and stiffness
- Persistence and fire resistance
- Environmental considerations for the whole life cycle
Teaching Methods (additional text)
This course is for students at campus in Gjøvik and also for web based students.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Graded by internal examiner (lecturer).
External sensor regularly is either evaluating or preparing the examination. Next time: 2018.
- Support material code C: Specified printed and hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
- John Haugan: «Formler og tabeller»
- The following basic calculators are permitted:
- Casio fx-82ES PLUS
- Citizen SR-270X and Citizen SR-270X College
- Hewlett Packard HP30S
8-10 exercises. All except two must be approved.