Superstructure projects III (Bachelor of media design)
Study plans 2016-2017
- 5 ECTS
Expected learning outcomes
"Superstructure projects" (I-IX) are practical design projects that supplement or develop further topics from the practical design projects in the courses "Typography", "Copy-editing and typography", "Strategic design", "Information architecture" and "Wayfinding systems". The objective is to allow the students to develop as formgivers and at the same time make sure that they establish a broad repertoire of basic solution types for handling a variety of communication problems.
The "superstructure projects" (I-IX) can deal with topics like conceptual problem solving, exploring typographic form, book design with emphasis on grid systems and the application of advanced font functionality, web design with emphasis on the application of web standards like CSS, corporate identity, packaging design, design of annual reports with integrated information graphics, the development and formgiving of effective and user-friendly paperbased or electronic forms, magazine design, newspaper design, exhibition design, calligraphy and typeface design.
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Individual project assignment with formative-iterative assessment.
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Summative assessment at the end of the semester: Passed / failed. The project(s) may then be included in a portfolio for final summative graded assessment (with internal and external examiners) at the end of the third and final year (grades A-F).
Emnet er kun tilgjengelig for Bachelor i mediedesign.
Aktuelle tidsskrifter i HiGs bibliotek:
- Communication Arts, Computer Arts, Computer Arts Projects, Eye, Information Design Journal, Interactions, Letter Arts Review, Novum, Numer, Print, Skrift, SNDS Magazine, Varoom
Aktuelle årbøker i HiGs bibliotek:
- Best of News Design (tidligereBest of Newspaper Design, 741.65), Publication Design Annual (741.6), Typography (686.224), Visuelt (741.6), Årets avissider i Norden (741.65), Årets vakreste bøker (741.6)
Aktuell støttelitteratur (som ikke er anført i andre emnebeskrivelser):
Web og mobile enheter:
- Cederholm, Dan (2009). Web standards solutions: The markup and style handbook. Berkeley: Apress
- Cederholm, Dan (2010). CSS3 for web designers. New York: A Book Apart
- Hoober, Steven and Eric Berkman (2012). Designing mobile interfaces. Sebastopol: O’Reilly
- Marcotte, Erthan (2011). Responsive web design. New York: A Book Apart
- Neil, Theresa (2012). Mobile design pattern gallery: UI patterns for mobile applications. Sebastopol: O’Reilly
- Porter, Joshua (2008). Designing for the social web. Berkeley: New Riders
- Vinh, Khoi (2011). Ordering disorder: Grid principles for web design. Berkeley: New Riders
- Wroblewski, Luke (2012). Mobile first. New York: A Book Apart
- Zeldman, Jeffrey (2010). Designing with web standards. Third edition. Berkeley: New Riders
- Beier, Sofie (2012). Reading letters: Designing for legibility. Amsterdam: BIS Publishers
- Character design standards [www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/fdsspec/ overview.aspx]
- Cheng, Karen (2005). Designing type.London: Laurence King
- FontLab (2006). FontLab Studio 5: Users manual for Macintosh [www.fontlab.com]
- Haralambous, Yannis (2007). Fonts & encodings. Sebastopol: O’Reilly
- Noordzij, Gerrit (2005). The stroke: Theory of writing. London: Hyphen Press
- Rask, Trine (2007). Skriftdesign: Grundprincipper og arbejdsproces. København: Grafisk Litteratur
- Rask, Trine (2009). Skriftdesign: Øvelser på papiret. København: Grafisk Litteratur
- Smeijers, Fred (2011). Counterpunch: Making type in the sixteenth century: Designing typefaces now. Second edition. London: Hyphen Press
- Southall, Richard (2005). Printer’s type in the twentieth century: Manufacturing and design methods.L ondon: The British Library
Idéutvikling og metode:
- Fletcher, Alan (2001). The art of looking sideways. London: Phaidon
- Koskinen, Ilpo, et al. (2011). Design research through practice. Waltham: Morgan Kaufmann
- Lerdahl, Erik (2007). Slagkraft: Håndbok i idéutvikling. Oslo: Gyldendal Akademisk
- Martin, Bella and Bruce Hanington (2012). Universal methods of design. Beverly, Mass.: Rockport
- Noble, Ian and Russel Bestley (2007). Visual research: An introduction to methodologies in graphic design. Lausanne: AVA Publishing
- Eisenmann, Sara (2006). Building design portfolios: Innovative concepts for presenting your work. Beverly: Rockport
- Rowe, Robert m.fl. (2010). Graphic design portfolio strategies: For print and digital media. Foreword by Ellen Lupton. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Crawford, Ted (2008). AIGA profesional practices in graphic design. Second edition. New York: Allworth Press / American Institute of Graphic Arts
- Foote, Cameron S. (2009). The creative business guide to running a graphic design business. [2nd edition]. New York and London: WW Norton & Company
- Grafill; interesseorganisasjon for alle som arbeider eller utdanner seg innen visuell kommunikasjon [www.grafill.no]
- Graphic Artists Guild (2010). Handbook of pricing and ethical guidelines.13th edition. New York: Graphic Artists Guild
- Hansson, Atle (2011). Frilans!: En komplett håndbok for frilansere (og for deg som vil bli det). [Oslo]: Porquoi?