Expected learning outcomes
The course will give the students knowledge of the general history of photography, a history of photographic reproduction technology, and the role of photography in modern graphic design. The course also has a hermeneutic approach where the students have to make themselves acquainted with critical theory that questions the properties of the published / mass produced photograph as a communicative medium. The course is also about practical and instrumental pictorial communication for designers.
National and international history of photography
The history of the technology of photography
The history of reproduction techniques as applied to photography
The mass-produced picture
Photomontage and the "typo-photo" of the inter-war period, and their significance for the development of modern graphic design
Photography as a communicative and rhetorical medium
The status of photography as a medium for representation
The status and potential of the photograph in the "digital era"
Practical and instrumental pictorial communication
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Writing of two essays with formative-iterative assessment.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Essay (counts 60%)
Written Exam, 3 hours (counts 40%)
Summative assessment of two essays after end of the semester.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
- Bo Bergström (2000). Bild & budskap: ett triangeldrama om bildkommunikasjon . Stockholm: Carlsson Bokförlag
- Erlandsen, Roger (2000). Pas nu paa! Nu tar jeg fra hullet!: Om fotografiens første hundre år i Norge: 1839—1940 . Våle: Forlaget Inter-View
- Wells, Liz (ed.) (2004). Photography: a critical introduction . Third ed. London: Routledge
- Plus additional material
Emnet er kun tilgjengelig for Bachelor i mediedesign eller for maksimum 25 studenter.
Aktuelle tidsskrift i HiGs bibliotek:
- Aperture, Ekfrase, Fotografi, History of Photography, Photography and Culture, Visual Communication
Aktuelle klassenummer i HiGs bibliotek:
- 070.49, 760–, 770–, 771–, 773–, 778–, 779–, 302.222, 346.048
- Benson, Richard (2008). The printed picture. New York: The Museum of Modern Art
- Evans, Harold (1978). Pictures on a page.London: Heinemann
- Fotografia publica: Photography in print 1919–1939. (c 2000). [Madrid]: Aldeasa / Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía
- Hassner, Rune (1977). Bilder för miljoner. [Stockholm]: Sveriges Radio / Rabén & Sjögren