On the basis of
TØL 4041 Sustainable Development
Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student is supposed to
- be able to define, execute and select methods and tools to assess sustainability performance of various concepts .
- knowledge of environmental indicators and their background
- ability to use appropriate evaluation or assessment methods to identify and analyze the sustainability performance of concepts
- ability to define and describe the object of assessment for different situations and systems
- ability to utilize and evaluate results from Life Cycle Assessment tools
- ability to evaluate scientific ethical implications
- understanding of sustainability performance in general
Methods and tools for assessment of environmental sustainability (including life cycle analysis)
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) according to ISO 14040
- Characterisation, Classification and Normalisation
- Re-use and recycling
- Attributional and consequential LCA
- Use of tools as SimaPro
- Overview of research on sustainability
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be made accessible for both campus- and remote students. Every student is free to choose the pedagogic arrangement from that is best fitted for her/his own requirement.
Seminars in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students through web conferencing systems (Eluminate, Adobe Connect etc). Recordings of seminars and tutoring sessions will be available on internet through GUC’s learning management system (Fronter).
Form(s) of Assessment
Home exam, 12 hours
Oral exam, individually
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- 12 hour individual home exam is given a temporary grade.
- Individual oral examination (15 minutes) may adjust the grade up or down to the final grade.
- Students must pass the home exam to be able to present themselves for the oral examination.
- Students must pass both parts to pass the course
- For off campus students the oral exam will be arranged through web conference
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal examiners. Additional external examiner every four years.
Ordinary re-sit for the home exam (next August). For the oral exam there will be a re-sit in agreement with the course responsible.
All printed and written
- Two hand-ins/assignments must be approved
- Mandatory presence on seminars
The standard language is English. All hand-ins, exams etc. must be written in English.
Compendium of articles/book chapters