On the basis of
REA1141 Matematikk 1
REA2071 Matematikk 2 for Bygg og Maskin
Expected learning outcomes
The course builds on the course Mechanics and goes deeper into statics and strength of materials. Elasticity theory is treated more thoroughly, and plasticity is introduced.
After completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Explain the principles of equilibrium and elasticity
- Describe basic concepts such as Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and Navier hypothesis
- Know different methods for calculation of statically determinate and indeterminate structures
- Explain Tresca and von Mises yield criterion
- Calculation of forces, bending moments and stresses
- Make general moment equations
- Solve puzzles about space frames and 3D beam systems
- Use Mohr diagram to determine the principal stresses
- Utilize the theory of elasticity theory and the theory of plasticity
- Know about solving statics with matrices and the use of the Finite Element Method and calculation programs
- Simple frames and arches
- Forces in 3D space
- Work and energy
- Hooke's law in two dimensions - Poisson
- Mechanical properties of materials
- Deformations of poles and beams
- Statically indeterminate structures
- 3-moment equation (continues the introduction to the topic Mechanics)
- Torsion - arbitrary cross sections
- Stress and Strain Analysis incl. Mohr's circle
- Material equations
- Tensions in arbitrary cross sections
- Bending stresses in curved beams
- Composite Beams
- Basic use of matrices to solve static problems
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Supervision will be given via Internet for off-campus students
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Graded by internal examiner (lecturer).
External sensor regularly is either evaluating or preparing the examination. Next time: 2019.
Re-sit August 2016. The re-sit may be an oral examination instead of written examination. In oral examinations, support material code D applies unless otherwise agreed with the lecturer.
D: No printed or hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
Specified printed and hand-written support material is allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
Approved collection of formulae: John Haugan: Formler og tabeller.
11-14 exercises. All but two have to be approved.
Replacement course for