Bachelor thesis CERN
- 30 ECTS
The candidate must have passed the regular 120 credits from the first and second year of study before Ocober 1st in the same study year as the thesis work is supposed to start up.
Expected learning outcomes
The bachelor thesis completes the study programme of the student and is supposed to integrate important parts of the contents of the study programme. At the same time, the thesis shall give the student the opportunity to exhibit independence by going in depth into restricted problems. Through the thesis work the student shall also show understanding for methodical work and ability for self-reflection. After the thesis work the student is able to:
- Identify, restrict and define a specific problem
- Plan and carry out a project based on scientific methodology
- Present the results of the project, both orally and by writing
- Write technical reports in English according to international, scientific standards
The thesis work is carried out as parts of a six to twelve months stay as technical student at the research centre CERN in Geneva, Switzerland. The topic of the thesis work is defined by CERN, and the student works with the project in a specific group at CERN under supervision by a CERN-appointed supervisor.
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The bachelor project is an independent task carried out in a group at CERN under a CERN-appointed supervisor. In addition, an internal supervisor is appointed at Gjøvik University College. The bachelor thesis is written by the student only, preferrably in English. The student sends regular status reports to his/her supervisor at Gjøvik University College.
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
The assessment of the thesis work is mainly based on the thesis itself, but also based on the process of defining and carrying out the thesis work. The assessment is based on the ability of the student to
- Work systematically and independently
- Carry out specific projects
- Critically evaluate the results of work carried out by oneself and others, as well as reflect about conclusions and findings
- Present the thesis work in written words according to international, scientific standards. The quality of the thesis is expected to be somewhat higher than a thesis carried out internally at Gjøvik University College.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
One internal and one external examiner.
- If special circumstances allow it, the student can apply to the dean of the responsible department for being assessed according to the grading scale "Passed - not passed"
- Additional information can be found in the bachelor thesis guidelines "Retningslinjer for bacheloroppgave ved HiG".