Mathematics 2 for electrical engineering
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
REA1141 Mathematics 1
Expected learning outcomes
The students will learn mathematical tools and methods for engineering problem solving, and acquire a foundation for further study in mathematics and engineering. The course emphasizes modeling and applications.
- Understand the relevance of mathematics in engineering problem solving.
- Able to identify applications of mathematics in engineering subjects.
- Know the possibilities and limitations of mathematical software.
The course gives in-depth knowledge in the areas of linear algebra with selected applications and power series, with
- able to understand and use mathematical language.
- able to use mathematical methods and software to solve problems.
- able to judge accuracy of numerical results.
- basic mathematical reasoning
- able to do simple mathematical modeling
The skills are developed by applications to the knowledge areas.
Systems of linear equations:
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Eigensystems and diagonalisation
- Series, sequences and convergence
- Taylor and Fourier series
- Difference equations
- Fourier-, Laplace- and z-transforms
Teaching Methods (additional text)
For Fleksibel ingeniørutdanning:
- Nettmøter (Elluminate, samlinger)
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Eksamen teller 100%
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Sensureres av intern sensor (emnelærer).
Ekstern sensor benyttes periodisk (hvert 3-4 år) til retting og til utarbeiding av eksamensoppgaver. Neste gang: 2013.
Det arrangeres egen kontinuasjonseksamen for den skriftlige eksamenen.
Kalkulator som ikke kan kommunisere med andre, formelsamling (Haugan).
At least four problem sheets, including at least one using mathematical software, must be completed to take the exam.
Otto Bretscher : Linear algebra with applications
Glyn James: Advanced Modern Engineering Mathematics
Edwards & Penney: Calculus
Lecture notes published on classfronter.
Replacement course for
Matematikk 15 (REA1051) og Matematikk 20 (REA2051)
Credit reduction due to overlapping course REA2051: 100%