Expected learning outcomes
- Basic measuring methods
- Use of measurement instruments
- Manual computation of coordinates and heights, accuracy computation.
- Documentation and standards.
- Ability to work with measuring instruments
- Basic use of measuring instruments and software, ability to process data both manually and in software, do documentation and write reports.
- Focus is on physical instrumental mechanisms, and quality controls/calibrations:
- Instrument checking, calibration and documentation
- Surveying with total stations
- Polar setting out
- Simple satellite surveying by RTK
- Setting out for building construction
- Simple manual computation of coordinates and heights:
- Computing standards, Geodatastandarden
- Theories and practices necessary to be able to follow the topics introduced under Instruments, Techniques and Computations:
-- Types of error, their recognition, and prevention possibilities
-- The mean (average)
-- Standard deviation
-- Normal distribution
-- Combining the estimated errors of independent observations
-- Brief introduction to simple survey adjustment
- Interpretation of technical drawings
- Movement of digital data between PCs and electronic field controllers
- Reports writing
Teaching Methods (additional text)
For campus students: Lectures, Group works, Exercises, Project work, Tutoring.
For net based students - Net based learning, Group works, Exercises, Project work, Tutoring.
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Submitted project tasks (100%)
All tasks must be passed
In the course are included 5 to 6 tasks. Some of the tasks are provided in groups, while other are delivered individually. All tasks must be passed. Final grade is based on all submitted tasks which together count for 100%. It can be granted a deferred deadline for the tasks that have been disapproved.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Project reports are evaluated by nominated lecturers
External moderators regularly assist in reviewing content and evaluating arrangements for grading assessment
Together with the next class, one year later
5 to 6 mandatory tasks must be approved.
- Skogseth, T. (1998). Grunnleggende landmåling. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget (ISBN: 82-00-42453-7).
- Statens kartverk. Geodatastandarden (oppdateres jevnlig på nett)
- Statens kartverk. Geodatastandarden, grunnlagsnett (oppdateres jevnlig på nett)
- Statens Kartverk. (2001). Satellittbasert posisjonsbestemmelse. Hønefoss: Statens kartverk.
- Instrument and program manuals (regularly updated on WWW or built in to system help files)
The course covers 50% of "GEO1181 Basic Land Surveying". But it can't be approved as "GEO1181 Basic Land Surveying". Instead it can be taken "GEO1201 Basic Land Surveying 2".