- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
ELE2131 Digitalteknikk og Mikrokontrollere
Expected learning outcomes
- Know about bus-standards and display systems.
- Know about applications and types of DSP (Digital Signal Processor)/multiprocessors.
- Know about disk systems
- Know about different programmable logic devices and how they are built up and work.
- Know about how a digital system can be described by using VHDL.
- Know about boundary-scan and principles of testing of digital designs.
- Know about the vulnerability of FPGA systems.
- Be able to program micro processors in bus-solutions and communicate with them through internet.
- Be able to program FPGA devices with use of VHDL.
- Be able to use Altera programming tool and developement system Quartus II.
- Presentation both verbal and in writing of results from project work.
- Utilisation of software tools.
Microprocessor/microcontroller part will cover:
- I/O interface
- Distributed Microcontroller systems (LonWorks)
- Bus standards
- Display systems
- Digital signal processors (DSP)
FPGA/VHDL part will cover:
- The structure of digital systems
- State machines
- Programmable logic devices
- FPGA families
- Altera development system Quartus II
- Hardware description in VHDL
- Verification of design
- Programming FPGAs
- Boundary Scan testing
- Security in FPGA system
Net Support Learning
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 5 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Written exam, 5 hours, counts 70%.
Evaluation of project(s), counts 30%, evaluated by lecturer(s).
Each part must be individually approved, and the projects/mandatory exercises must be passed/approved before taking the exam.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Evaluated by internal lecturer. External examiner shall be used periodically, next time 2014/2015.
Ordinary re-sit examination.
The mandatory projects/exercises are valid for one year after they have been accepted.
In the VHDL part there will be a total of 8 exercises where 3 of them are mandatory (one of these 3 with grades).
In the microcontroller part there will be 2 mandatory projects, one with grades.
Introductory VHDL From Simulation to Synthesis - Sudhakar Yalamanchili - ISBN 0-13-080982-9
Computer Busses - W. Buchanan - ISBN 0-340-74076-0
Replacement course for
ELE3161 VHDL-Programmerbare kretser and ELE3072 Mikroprosessorteknikk II (from 2008/2009)