- 5 ECTS
- Fundamental programming and algorithms
- Fundamental image processing
- Fundamental colour science
Expected learning outcomes
- The candidate is in the forefront of knowledge within the field of image quality
- The candidate has the ability to discuss and explain subjective and objective image quality methods
- The candidate can plan, implement, conduct, and analyze image quality experiments
- The candidate has the ability to communicate and lead discussions on recent research about image quality
- The candidate has the ability to evaluate and critique methods for image quality assessment
- Psychometric scaling
- Psychophysical experiment setup and statistical analysis
- Image quality attributes
- Image quality metrics
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- The candidate must provide one term paper and a final paper.
- In the term paper he or she discusses an open research topic assigned by the course responsible, including a thorough critical review of the state of the art, providing his or her own contribution to the field for instance by presenting a limited experimental setup and results and/or by proposing new ideas and promising directions for future research.
- In the final paper the candidate address a problem related to her/his own PhD thesis work within the field of image quality. The final paper should be in the form of a scientific paper, including proposed novel idea(s) supported by thorough discussion, experimental results and analysis, in a close to publishable scientific form.
- Candidates must pass both parts
Both papers must be resubmitted and evaluated.
- Give 2 presentations consisting of an introductory lecture (15 min) and a full lecture (30 min). The first on the basis of the term paper and the second based on the final paper.
- Attend at least 75% of the lectures, guest lectures, seminars, or presentations by fellow students.
A selection of recently published journal and conference papers will be provided before the course starting date to accommodate the needs and background of the participants.
In case there will be less than 5 candidates that applies for the course, it will be at the discretion of the course responsible whether the course will be offered or not and, if yes, in which form.