Digital Terrain Modelling
- 10 ECTS
On the basis of
GEO1121 GIS Intro
Expected learning outcomes
- The aim of the course is to provide students with an insight into digital terrain models (DTM), how they function, what they are capable of, and how they are used. Particular attention is paid to the function and role of DTMs in the wider context of geomatic activities.
- Teaching is mostly focussed on vector models with much time being spent learning and using at least one advanced professional DTM software system.
- What is a DTM and where it can be used;
- How to make a DTM;
- DTM data capture;
- Accuracy and interpolation functions;
- Contouring in TIN models;
- Multiple layer DTMs
- Project planning and projection with multiple model layers;
- DTM presentation methods;
- Perspective DTM visualisation;
- Visualisation and presentation of DTMs in combination with Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems;
- Hidden lines and shading;
- Integrating DTMs with other types of software.
- Zoning plans
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Oral Presentation
Evaluation of Project(s)
Each part must be individually approved of.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
- Coursework is evaluated by lecturer(s)
- External moderators regularly assist in reviewing content and evaluating arrangements for grading assessment.
By agreement with the responsible lecturer.
- Tor Bernhardsen: Geografiske Informasjonssystemer (4.utgave, Vett og Viten 2006), ISBN 13: 978-82-412-0617-7
- Handbooks and Course Notes for Software by Powel Gemini AS and Vianova AS
- Other distributed materials/notes