Practice period 3 Occupational therapy for public health and lifestyle related illness
- 10 ECTS
EPR2001 Praksis 2
On the basis of
ERG2011 Psykososiale og somatiske funksjonsnedsettelser del 2. Fokus på folkehelse og livsstilsykdom.
Expected learning outcomes
The purpose of the course is for the student to get insight into lifestyle-related illnesses and the challenges to society, in order to meet the various needs of people. The students will be trained in communication, intervention, collection of data, analysis and documentation and in occupational therapeutic treatment.
Knowledge : The student will be able to:
- Understand the importance of cross-disciplinary work within the area of accessibility, and concerning assessment of relevant welfare-technological solutions
- Make use of relevant knowledge from topics related to natural and social sciences and that of the occupational therapy profession in every single encounter with people during the practice period
- Show insight into the challenges people with various lifestyle illnesses can encounter in daily life, especially connected to COPD, diabetes, obesity and allergy
Skills : The student will be able to:
- Make use of relevant theory and research in relation to current issues during the practice period
- Compile objectives and individual plans in collaboration with the service user, and other relevant partners based on the resources and needs of the individual in an innovative way
- Communicate professionally with service users independent of their age, background or culture
- Implement reporting and documentation on the basis of the individual service user and in collaboration with the supervisor
- Use occupational therapeutic methods, tools and instruments for analysis and treatment
General competence : The student will be able to:
- Perform all of the practice in accordance with ethical and professional guidelines for occupational therapists
- Be understanding about the challenges of individual persons in all one’s professional practice and be able to reflect on these
- Show ability to be responsible for one’s own learning by showing initiative and independence
Occupational therapeutic professional work based on the following subjects:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Pathology and functional disability with a special focus on public health and lifestyle-related illness,
- Psychology and the science of education
- Communication, coordination and conflict resolution
- Professional ethics and a professional basis in the role of being a health professional
- Activity analysis/Function analysis
- Welfare technology, universal design and innovation
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Clinical practice, reflection and supervision
Form(s) of Assessment
Assessment of Practicum
Practice will be assessed by the contact teacher and the daily tutor/main tutor of the practice field
Students who are awarded a failing mark for a period of practice, must contact the Study Programme Coordinator in order to agree on how to continue the course.
Approved obligatory attendance during the course. Obligatory attendance is described in detail in the curriculum and in the course schedules.
A written paper related to the focus of the practice period must be presented at the seminar on the first day after the end of period of practice. The written work and the oral presentation must have been approved in order for the practice to be passed.
Bachelor in Occupational Therapy at GUC has resource literature. An overview of updated resource literature can be found on the homepages of the university college.