The aim of this programme is to educate students who can assist companies to meet the challenges of tomorrow regarding product design and continuously improvement of processes. The students will acquire the skills that are necessary to develop an idea into a product:
- How to develop and design products?
- How to conduct good branding?
- How to make use of software tools and laboratories in design and production process?
- How to lead production?
- How to lead a company?
- How to ensure good quality?
- How to satisfy environmental requirements?
- How to market the product?
Students develop knowledge in creative problem-solving, how to use software tools to make choice of materials and analyse different constructions, and how to carry out computer-aided design. Management subjects as project management, production management, quality management, organizational culture, and improvement processes are central issues in this education. The programme also encompasses mathematics, mechanics, and work experience in a company.
Language: The lectures are mainly held in Norwegian.
Expected learning outcomes
The programme focuses on two main areas:
- Product design; focus on idea development with creative processes, innovation, requirement specifications, choice of materials, form and surface, environmental requirement specifications, shortage of resources and product recovery.
- Product design and management; focus on financial and environmentally friendly production processes, communication, market, laws and regulations.
At end of study the students will:
- Be able to identify, formulate, plan, and solve problems systematically within their specialised field
- Have a balanced and healthy attitude towards the quality of products and processes
- Keep in mind the concept of quality in all contexts
- See technological solutions in an economical, organisational, and environmental context
- Be able to combine practical skills with theoretical knowledge, and be aware of the interaction between technology, environment, individuals and society
- Use professional sources and methods, follow laws and regulations and standards for planning, operation, maintenance, and development of companies
- Be able to evaluate their own work and know their own qualifications
- Be able to manage and operate processes, conduct a dialogue and communicate interdisciplinary in an efficient way
- Present, sell and profile ideas and products
- Understand and carry out professional and ethical responsibility
- Cooperate interdisciplinary to solve complicated tasks
On completion of the programme, the students will be qualified to work with:
- Idea development
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Consulting services
- Management and administration
- Quality assurance
The students have the possibility to take one semester of the programme abroad. The department cooperates with Karlstad University and Högskolan Dalarne in Sweden (through the UNISKA network), and both these institutions have similar programmes. Another alternative is the Fachhochschule Schmalkalden in Germany.
General matriculation requirement.