Expected learning outcomes
After completing the course, the student is supposed to have
Knowledge about common items on sustainable development: history, globalization, world community documents
Knowledge about sustainability indicators, indexes and monitoring methods
Knowledge about sustainable resource management
Sustainable development assessment
Life cycle assessment (LCA)
Use of software for LCA (Simapro)
Society: understanding what society’s institutions are, their role in transformation and development; understanding what democratic systems are, their role in providing with opinion representation, consensus reinforcement and overcoming disagreements.
Environment: conscience what resources physical environment has, how much environment is instable and how it is influenced by human activity and decisions with showing settled intention to account ecological disquietudes within development of social and economic policy.
Economic-technological line: consideration of all limitations and potential opportunities related to economic growth and their influence on society and environment when aspiring for determination of the private and public consumption level that causes concern in the context of environment and social justice.
- Common items on sustainable development
- Prehistory and main sustainable development concepts
- Globalization and sustainable development problems
- World community’s main documents for sustainable development
- Sustainable development assessment
- Sustainable development indicators.
- Sustainable development indices
- Environmental monitoring
- Sustainable resource management
- Natural capitalism.
- Basics of the natural resource management theory
- Modeling systems
- Technological dimension of sustainable development
- Sustainable development, technology and engineering
- Sustainable energy
- Cleaner production approach
- Environmental management systems.
- Life cycle assessment
- Environmental labels and declaration
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Lectures and seminars
Exercises, individual and group work
Pedagogical use of web conferences
Streaming, recording and publishing of lectures
Exercises using Simapro Software
Form(s) of Assessment
Home exam, 12 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
2 internal examiners
4 individual works – 3 must be approved before the final exam
Compendium made by Prof Gennadiy Statyukha
- Sustainability in manufacturing: recovery of resources in product and material cycles Günther Seliger Springer, 2007 - Business & Economics - 423 pages
- Handbook of environmentally conscious manufacturing, Christian Ndubisi Madu, Springer, 2001 - 488 pages
- Environmentally conscious mechanical design, Myer Kutz, John Wiley and Sons, 2007 - Technology & Engineering - 394 pages
- Environmentally conscious manufacturing, Myer Kutz, John Wiley and Sons, 2007 - Technology & Engineering - 343 pages
- Sustainable development in practice: case studies for engineers and scientists, Adisa Azapagic, Slobodan Perdan, Roland Clift, John Wiley and Sons, 2004 - Business & Economics - 446 pages