Expected learning outcomes
The students should acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills for calculating electrical stress on high voltage electrical insulation material with simple electrode configurations.
- Know the structure of the transmission and distribution network in Norway and Sweden.
- Knowledge about gas, liquid and solid insulation material used for electrical insulation in high voltage lines, cables, transformers and other equipment.
- Knowledge about simplified models for calculating overvoltage due to switching and lightning.
- Understand and behave due to a safety instruction.
- Do practical impuls-, dc- and ac- high voltages test of objects in laboratory.
- Skills to make technical reports so they are possible to redo.
General competence/universal knowledge
- Discuss environmental and social issues due to electrical production, transmission and distribution and use/consumption.
- Electrostatic fields calculations. (Plane, sphere and cylindrical configurations.)
- Electrical breakdown in gases (Townsend criteria) and in electronegativ gases.
- Paschen’s law
- Insulating liquids (testing, aging and oxidation) and factors influencing the dielectric strength.
- Switchgear, overhead lines, glass and porcelain isolators, High voltage fuses, High voltage cables.
- Lightning overvoltage calculation
- Switching overvoltage calculation
- High voltage test technique
Net Support Learning
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 3 hours
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)