The main tasks of Building engineers are to plan, design, build, and operate buildings so that they meet the requirements of users and authorities. In this respect, building engineers have many different roles; as planners, advisory engineers, contractors, and as applicant authorities.
This study programme has its main emphasis on calculation of concrete, steel and wooden structures, mainly for the construction of buildings of different sizes and functions. The design principles can also apply for bridges, platforms, and other structures. The following topics are essential:
- Static calculation (statics and solidity of materials, strength calculation)
- CAD (computer assisted design; digital working drawings in 2D and 3D)
- Practical construction themes (load calculation, dimensioning of load-bearing structures made of steel, concrete and wood)
The course gives particular attention to good basic skills in technical subjects as the best possible foundation for acquiring experience. Practical insights will come through field trips and laboratory exercises. The first two years of the programme are joined with the Bachelor of Engineering – Project Management programme.
Language: The lectures are mainly held in Norwegian.
Expected learning outcomes
At end of study, the students will have the abilities to combine theoretical and technical knowledge with practical skills. The students will also be able to take a conscious responsibility for the interaction between building technology, environment, individuals and society.
The students will possess:
- Solid knowledge in classical building subjects, and in depth on at least one special area.
- Insight in and understanding of what tasks and roles which lay in different technological challenges for buildings
- Good skills in use of professional sources, professional methods, relevant laws and legislations, as well as standards for planning, projects, administration, operation, and maintenance
- A professional attitude towards research and development work, and see the use of participating in such activities, either in work or in later studies
- Good ability to both independence and cooperation, as well as the ability to transmit knowledge and skills to new problems
- An understanding of how forces and tensions influence on building constructions
- Trained knowledge in dimensions of building constructions
The students will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, plan for, and solve building technical problems in a systematic way for constructing buildings
- Be quality-conscious in all contexts
- Plan and carry out experiments, as well as analyze, interpret, and use turned up data
- Participate in innovative and creative processes
- Use modern tools, techniques, and acquired skills in their daily work
- Cooperate interdisciplinary to solve complicated tasks
- See solutions for building constructions in an economic, organisational and environmental connection
- Understand and practice professional and ethical responsibility
At end of study the students will qualify for:
- Engineering/design of building constructions
- Project development in close cooperation with other disciplines
- Building inspection (concerning houses, and industrial and office buildings)
Otherwise, graduates from this course will be eligible for a wide range of appointments in both public and private sectors.