GEO1151- GIS Intro I (or equal)
Expected learning outcomes
The students will after completed course have a basic understanding of how the geographical reality can be represented in digital form, and will be able to use this knowledge in geographical data capture and analysis.
The students will know the difference between raster based and vector based data, and have an overview over available geographical datasets in Norway.
- Representation of reality as vector data and as raster data
- Geographical data capture (Photogrammetry/remote sensing, surveying, scanning, satellite imageries)
- Vector-based analysis
- Principles for handling raster data
- Raster based analysis
- Available geographical data in Norway (content and availability)
The following parts from GEO1121 GSI Intro are used:
- Digital data Capture
- Vector Data Analysis
- Raster Data Structure
- Raster data Analysis
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Multiple choice with 30 minutes time limit
2 project tasks must be completed and approved in order to pass.
- Tor Bernhardsen: Geografiske Informasjonssystemer (4.utgave, Vett og Viten 2006, ISBN 13: 978-82-412-0617-7
- Heywood I et al, 2006: An Introduction to Geographical Information Systems. Pearson/Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-129317-6
Replacement course for
GEO1013 Geomatikk introduksjon (partly)
Completing GIS Intro I and GIS Intro II is equvalent to completing GEO1121 GIS Intro.