Expected learning outcomes
The course will give the students an introduction to the Open Source software development philosophy, and current open source software projects within the field of Geographic Information Systems. The student shall be able to use selected software products.
- Background and philosophy of open source
- How to contribute to open source
- Overview of open source GIS
- Examples of open source GIS and free data
- Desktop applications
- Client-Server applications
- Software libraries
Teaching Methods (additional text)
Video Lectures, Exercises
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
Assessment of 2 hand-ins.
Hall, G. Brent, Leahy, Michael G. (Eds.) (2009) Open Source Approaches in Spatial Data Handling, ISBN: 978-3-540-74830-4 e-ISBN: 978-3-540-74831-1